Buy a new car they say

So I’m in the process of buying a new car. Actually it’s a used car, 2017 VW Passat. 28,000 miles, grey SE. I want the SE w/Technology package. I’m coming from a 2006 Acura TSX, I love this car. The thing is this, the Passat doesn’t have premium sound or an auto-dimming review mirror. All the other boxes are checked. So I’m on the fence and I think it’s a good buyer strategy, you know, to be on the fence.


Here’s what I’ve done so far, and I think my buying strategy is working pretty well. 1) I contacted the dealer through their website, writing in my trade-in information. 2) After receiving a call from their Internet team, I was wishy-washy about scheduling an appointment. 3) I show up, look at the car and a sales person (lot guy) comes out. I tell him what I’m looking at and that I’m working with the Internet girl, tell him about the trade, basically lay everything on the table. Tell him I must leave to go back to work so I get trade numbers and they give me a first offer, then I leave. 4) Come back with the wife and kids later that evening to take the car for a spin. Leave again, I’ll be in touch. 5) Come in the next day on my lunch break. Goal: get lower numbers for car, higher for trade. They assess the trade more thoroughly. I leave. 6) Call / email/ get numbers down and trade up. Apply for financing thru them, work a deal remotely. Ask for more concessions from them via email.

At this point the sales guy will reply (probably by email) saying something like “they’re at their limit” or “they have more into the trade than they wanted to” or “they’re bottom price for the car”. Good, maybe they are, hold on, be strong, give them them the silent treatment. 

Look I’m on the fence with this car (it doesn’t have auto-dim rear view!!). Think about the reasons why this isn’t the care for you. It’s a year old with a lot of miles for being put in service March of 2017, but I’m not too worried bout that.

What would you do?


In the process of recruiting more dads for the run club. Come blog with me :).

Comments

Popular Posts